If your stress and anxiety levels have been at an all-time high, trust me, I know exactly how you feel. This year feels like I am in an escape room, except there’s no escape. I often find myself feeling anxious and stressing over things that usually wouldn’t bother me. I understand that things have been pretty tense for all of us, so here are a few ways to help you stay stress-free that I’ve found work pretty well.
1. Don’t Stress. No, but seriously. Don’t stress. You are in charge of your happiness and how you respond to potentially stressful situations. Find your inner strength to take control over how difficult situations affect you. Don’t allow yourself to become stressed, anxious, and worked up over difficult situations, especially those you can’t control. Instead of stressing, change the way you respond to things and situations that may not go the way you think they should.
2. Do what you love. Doing what you love and what makes you happy is a great way to relieve stress and stay stress free. It takes your mind off of whatever could possible stress you out. Reading is one thing I love to do so I have set times where I take time out of my day to read. Most times, I become so engaged with whatever book I’m reading, I forget about whatever it is that I was stressing about or I find myself in such a good mood that I don’t even stress at all.
3. Exercise. I think we can all agree that exercising is one of the best things you can do to help relieve stress. The good thing is, exercising doesn’t always have to be hard core intense training. Exercising can be a power walking in your neighborhood, hiking through your favorite trail, following along with your favorite Zumba routine, or whatever physical activity that you enjoy doing. Find a physical activity that you enjoy doing, create a routine, and get active.
4. Meditate. Prayer and meditation are a huge part of my daily routine. If I don’t pray in the morning when I wake up, it seems like my entire day is off. Praying, meditating, and repeating positive affirmations help you feel more in control of your day and how you will respond positively to difficult situations. It also helps to relieve stress if I find myself anxious and worked up about a difficult situation.
5. Get enough rest. I do not believe that if you want to be successful, you have to sleep less. In fact, I believe that I have to get enough rest in order to effectively accomplish my goals. Getting enough rest is a part of self-care and maintaining my well-being. When I don’t get enough rest, I find that I am cranky, unproductive and irritable, which in turn, heightens my stress and anxiety levels. When I get enough rest, I feel refreshed, recharged and ready to take on the day.